Body Language Analysis of The Malaysia Prime Ministry Speech on 10 October 2022
Please have a look of the video:
The following are some observation can be shared in based on nonverbal communication.
- A downward glance to the right shows that the individual is reading the script from a teleprompter.
- The overall presentation is filled with concealment. The individual attempts to hide his emotions so that they cannot be perceived by others.
- The tone of his voice and the speed at which he reads the script indicate that he is unfamiliar with the speech and that this is likely the first time he has read the script.
- The manner in which he stared at the teleprompter was not by seeing, but by staring. This suggests that he is attentive to each word he reads and does not wish to make a single error while reading. It corroborates the premise that he is anxious about reading the script.
- From 0:00 – 0:40. As a sign of discomfort, the individual tends to shift slightly to the left and right. His body language indicates he is nervous and attempting to find more room to flee.
A few moments are required to examine the body language of licking the lips. It is an indication of anticipation. It is also evidence that the person’s anxiety is a result of their environment.
- A stressed individual has a tendency to have a dry mouth. The finding is strengthened by the movement where the cup strikes the microphone when the glass is lifted, as depicted in the image.
- The act of touching the nose is another sign of discomfort. It may possibly be a baselining where he was attempting to fix his glasses. Consequently, this move implies that he lacks confidence when presenting the speech.
- From the minute he begins drinking water, he begins to feel relaxed. He no longer displays a rigid, stiff body language.
- At this time, it is possible to notice a controlled smile. This means he begins to exhibit nonverbal indications of complete relaxation.
- Before beginning the statement “bahawa,” a nonverbal cue of looking away is used. This shows that he feels relieved, uneasy, and distracted by the statement he is about to make.
- At 10:49, he inhaled deeply and shrugged unevenly. His body language indicates uncertainty about the future. However, he can breathe a sigh of relief as he nears the conclusion of his speech.
- At the end of his speech. He shows a conceal facial expression. When you look in-depth of his facial muscle, you can clearly see the mouth muscle was unevenly pulled down. It is the blend and mixed facial expression of slightly disgust and happy. This is known as blend facial expression in body language.